I recently got back from a week of traveling where we visited Helsinki, Talinn, and Edinburgh. I'll ignore Talinn as I only spent a day there.
Helsinki and Edinburgh were 2 completely different experiences. One pretty terrible and one fantastic.
Helsinki in a nutshell: cold, everything closed for easter, few restaurants open on sunday, no shops open, not much to see, not great food, terrible service, etc.
Edinbugh in a nutshell: beautiful, friendly people, great restaurants, easy to navigate, sunny (an anomaly, I know), etc.
They could not have been more different. I really loved Edinburgh and am so sad I didn't go visit sooner. Look how gorgeous it is:
In short, Helsinki was not a great stop (although it was fun to spend time with my parents). The highlights for us were that they had good pizza with blue cheese and there was a cool fort offshore. Maybe it's better in summer? I was expecting so much more given that I loved the rest of the Scandinavian cities.
Post travel, I've been around London hanging out with my mom and various visitors. When Rachel was here, she kindly helped me cross a few items off my bucket list and we made it to Stonehenge and Windsor Castle. Both were pretty cool (Windsor Castle is exactly what you think a castle should look like!).
Helsinki and Edinburgh were 2 completely different experiences. One pretty terrible and one fantastic.
Helsinki in a nutshell: cold, everything closed for easter, few restaurants open on sunday, no shops open, not much to see, not great food, terrible service, etc.
Edinbugh in a nutshell: beautiful, friendly people, great restaurants, easy to navigate, sunny (an anomaly, I know), etc.
They could not have been more different. I really loved Edinburgh and am so sad I didn't go visit sooner. Look how gorgeous it is:
In short, Helsinki was not a great stop (although it was fun to spend time with my parents). The highlights for us were that they had good pizza with blue cheese and there was a cool fort offshore. Maybe it's better in summer? I was expecting so much more given that I loved the rest of the Scandinavian cities.
Post travel, I've been around London hanging out with my mom and various visitors. When Rachel was here, she kindly helped me cross a few items off my bucket list and we made it to Stonehenge and Windsor Castle. Both were pretty cool (Windsor Castle is exactly what you think a castle should look like!).
After Rachel left, I spent the next few days dealing with apartment tidying and sorting. Then, Lindsay and Gianmi came and we visited Downton Abbey!
We did other sightseeing around London and I'm now relaxing for the next two days till I head to Portugal on Wednesday. It's a tough life.
No comments:
Post a Comment