Aug 25, 2010

Clean Slate

It's really strange re-explaining yourself and your history to a host of new people.  I'm so used to spending time with people who have known me forever.  S is one of my new friends in the UK, met through a "friend date" and the other day at dinner she was just asking me for my story.  It was actually fun to tell bits and pieces.  She doesn't know any of my friends, so I just got to say as I wanted to.  As I was answering that, I tried to remember the last time I really had a clean slate, where no one had any preconceived notions, and it was the first day of college.  There's something freeing about meeting new people and getting to know them (and of course debriefing with friends you've had forever).  I hate and love being forced to try and find connections to make friends.  Same is true of new places - finding a new bar in a neighborhood you've never been to with no memories that it has to live up to.  S and I went to a bar called the Lonsdale last night.  It was a great cocktail bar and both reminded me of New York, and had a very London feel (because half of the cocktails were British specialties).

Overall, still really liking London, but definitely missing a lot of people back in the states.  Happy to say that I booked my first set of tickets home.  I'll be home for Thanksgiving and the week after.  NYers, let's play!

No comments:

Post a Comment