Oct 9, 2010

I hate times of self-reflection

With the upcoming birthday, I have been trying to avoid evaluating my life as I typically do at every birthday, new year, or big life milestone. Weirdly, I'm less afraid of being older or having a bad bday - mostly because similar to 2 years ago, I'm skipping my birthday. Instead of Chicago, I'm off to Hawaii for the week with the fam. I am very sad to not be with friends and family as I was last year at our no cups last party.

Sorry, got off topic. The problem is that things keep happening that force me to evaluate. First, several people have just gotten engaged. Soo happy for them. It does make me think a bit about the fact that I am in a strange country and have no really easy ways to meet people I may some day want to be engaged to. Second, it was my coworker's birthday last week and she also turned 27. She is 2 years behind me at work, which means that for two years when I was working, she was enjoying college - makes me wish I had taken a gap year. Third, had dinner with a friend of a friend and a bunch of her friends - all bankers who work all the time. Made me realize how much I still don't want to work 24-7 all the time. Going to go on a project similar to last year, to take back my life. I'm sure there will be much more self-evaluations to cone, but generally think I'll continue to be happy with my move to London.

In other news, I still don't have a tv or Internet, so ice been watching a lot of DVDs. I started watching Pushing Daisies, a present from my friend Joanna. Lyon and I had tried to get into it 2 years ago when I got it, but had found it a little strange. Now, having watched 5 more episodes, I really like it - the characters are cute and awkward, the crimes are ridiculous (come on, a scratch and sniff murder?), and it always makes me hungry for pie.

Last ramble - found an Italian grocery store around the corner that sells burrata! Had a lovely night on Monday, eating burrata and warm bread and pesto, watching the sunset from my deck. Done now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment