Dec 19, 2010

Full of Holiday Cheer

Hi friends!  It's been a crazy 2 weeks since I came back from the states.  Last weekend, Sarah, Parul & I headed off to Munich for the Christmas markets.  Even though getting there was a disaster, we had a ball.  Munich really does feel like Christmas.  Non-food highlights were walking through the markets, the view from the top of town hall, and drinking steins in the Hofbrau House.  Of course, I brought home a stein because, well, everyone needs a proper drinking cup.


This is definitely what I came for - Christmas really was all around us.


I love this view of the markets from the top of the tower.

Food and drink highlights included the latkes from a street vendor (per Sarah, the best she'd ever had), a delicious mulled drink called winterdraum, rahm schmankerl, a sort of alsatian pizza, and spaetzle.

Our flight was cancelled to get there, so we got rebooked for the AM, stayed in a hotel near the airport, and ended up losing a morning in Munich.

This week has also been busy!  We had Christmas dinner at my bosses house in the country.  It was so fun - we cooked a variety of things, including coq au vin (he's french and it was from an old french cookbook that i was impressed I could sort of understand), mulled wine, and raspberry short cake.  There was also a cheese course and a rousing game of cheese trivia.  Fact, we could not guess which cheese matched the description.  We also got to see my boss's chickens, which we've heard so much about.  He has 4-6 chickens in his backyard.  We've been joking that we would be killing one of them for the stew.

Also, I found out I got promoted.  It was a nice surprise.  I had had conversations with people that week saying that "I've come to terms with it" which was obviously garbage.  Ha.  Anyways, very exciting news.  

I'm heading back stateside on Thursday for another week at home too.

No comments:

Post a Comment